Today bento was not exactly as what I initially plan them to be.
Initially I wanted to make a Piyo Piyo (yellow duck) bento and the plan was to rolls the rice balls into the powder of egg yolks from hard boiled eggs. However I under cook my egg and have no time to boiled another batch so I decided to go with the white rice balls.
I also plan to make a tulip rolled in tamagoyaki but seems that my tulip was not really blend with the egg rolls, still can see some empty space in between the carrot and egg. A note to myself to practice and improve on this part.
For side dish : soft boiled eggs, tamagoyaki, and chicken katsu and apple salad and jellies.
Bento # 107 – Duckies bento
Happy Friday all.
This is my submission for #bentopartyfriday 🙂
This is a late post of last Friday lunch and the bento was one of those where bento picks come in handy to beautify the food.
I cut a spam using rabbit cookie cutter and then add 2 rabbit picks on the rice. Mini size meatballs to fit the drum stick picks , yellow cherry tomato for the leaf pick , a little portion of scramble egg.
And last but not the least plum and few raspberries for vitamin boost.
- Bento # 98 – Spam bunny bento
This was a late post of yesterday snack.
The theme was still about full moon and mooncake festival related, if you Google to check on the origins or the tale behind the Chinese Mooncake/ Mid autumn festival, you will found one of the supporting character in the tales was a rabbit pet of Chang Er. I won’t go on the details because it was a rather long tale so please Google if you are interested to know more 🙂
Here is my bento, the moon gazing rabbits made of glutinous rice cake, cheese and berries.
Bento # 96 – Moon gazing bento
Happy moon gazing and do let me know if you spotted any rabbits hopping or working at the moon.
I was inspired to make this salad after last night dinner at Korean restaurant where they serve this apple raisin salad as one of the banchan (side dish).
Apple Raisin salad
- 2 red apples – cut into cubes and toss into cold salted water
- 1 cucumber – remove the seeds and cut into small pieces
- A bunch of green seedless apple
- one small box of raisins
- mayonnaise (I happen to have the Korean brand mayo)
- 1/2 table spoon sugar (optional) – I like a little sweet on my salad
- 1/2 table spoon ice water
- soaked apple cubes into cold salted water for 3 minutes to maintain apple’s colors and freshness, drain and wipe gentle with paper towel.
- in a salad bowl , mix sugar, mayonnaise and ice water, stir until sugar dissolved and then tossed into the bowl the rest of other ingredients
- mix until all ingredients coated with mayonnaise.
- chill in the fridge
When I post my previous Ultraman bento, I did mention about making Ultraman Saga, the evolved or modernized version of the classic Ultraman. So here he is, Ultraman Saga sandwich, ready to fight my growling stomach 🙂
I use carrot to make the electric/flash decoration on the face and yellow cheery tomato for the eyes.
- Bento # 76 – Ultraman Saga
What’s in the box :
- Ham and cheese sandwiches
- 1 slice of cheese for the face
- Fruits salad
- 1 hard boiled egg
A late post of yesterday lunch.
I decided to take little break from making charaben (cute bento) and lunch will be a very standard Japanese bento topped with meat soboro and Iri tamago. Meat soboro is easy to make and considered as staple in bento making, one can make and stock them in freezer as bento stash. Iri tamago is the name for the egg soboro.
And you know what? At the end of it, after I topped the rice with the meat soboro and iri tamago, I can’t help myself but to add few cheese to decorate it, resulted to Bear (Kuma) bento.
Bento # 75 – Bear:Kuma bento
This is what I make for my friend Tiek, for her lunch today.
Today Wolverine join his friend in the superhero series bento.
Bento # 74 – Wolverine Bento
I use the classic Wolverine from old comic book as reference. he is not as handsome as the Hugh Jackman wolverine but he indeed look strong and powerful.
Summary of what’s in the box :
- A portion of rice mix with ume furikake
- 3 pieces of meatballs in sweet and sour sauce
- 1 egg sheet for wolverine costume
- Nori & Ham for the faces and other decoration
- Steamed veggies (brocoli, carrots, edamame and baby corns)
- Ham & Egg flower (from the remaining parts used for wolverine)
This is the Ume furikake that I use to mix the rice, price per pack is Rp 28,500 (approx USD $3).
Stay tuned for the release of next superhero… Happy Monday all!!!
A weekend snack, just perfect for summer.
Recipe was adapated from Savory simple http://www.savorysimple.net/watermelon-salsa/
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toss all ingredients together and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes so the flavors have a chance to come together. Add an extra 1/2 jalapeno if you like your salsa on the hot side.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Notes Adapted from Recipe Girl
I am taking the advise of blogger friend, Anita from http://www.typingwithtea.wordpress.com for today superhero, the Iron Man.
At first I was a bit indecisive on how shall I create the shiny golden and reddish look , can’t figure out the right materials. But then I decided just to be free and use whatever ingredients that I have, Bento making supposedly to be fun and all about creativity, the worst case if I fail this theme, then I can always post it as an abstract version of Iron Man, it’s all about perspective of each individual. 😀
Nothing fancy about this Iron Man, I use smoked beef and cheddar cheese and then decorate them with Nori and milk cheese and place them on top of cheese sandwich. TADA… handsome Tony Stark in Iron Man costume 🙂
Hmmm who is next to join the team? For sure I won’t be captain America, I am totally clueless on how to get the blue color and I personally think that blue is less appealing color in food.
Any idea and suggestion friends?
Bento # 72 – Iron Man Bento
Summary of what’s in the box :
- 1 slice of cheese sandwich decorated with Iron man made of smoked beef and cheese
- scramble egg with the remaining part of the smoked beef and cheese
- few slices of dragon fruit
- cheery tomatoes and steam edamame
Happy Friday all…
Wish you have a good and blessed weekend.
Today bento is another pig theme but in a more masculine shape, the boar.
The 2 boars were made of hard boiled egg cooked in pork stew and soya sauce (Mum cook pork stew with eggs and tofu, and as usual I took the advantages and bring back a little portion for my stash at the fridge).
Cut the egg into 2 and made a small cut at the edge to form a nose and keep the cut part for the ears and tusks. I use the sliced ham from my fried Lotus root with mushroom dish for the eyes, decorated with black sesame seed.
Below please find the photos 🙂
Bento #65 – Boar bento 1.0
Another angle with closer look to the boars.
Side dish was Fried lotus root with mushroom that I cook and posted earlier today.
Bento #65 – Boar bento 1.1
I received my package from Bento& Co this morning and immediately use the Kokeshi bento box for today Bento 🙂