Yesterday was the first day of me going back to gym for morning exercise after a very very long (like forever) break. And as the result I slept like a baby and woke up this morning feeling energized (though my whole body was bit sore).
Since I have plenty of time I decided to make myself bento for lunch. Initially I plan to make something with the gym/exercise theme but nothing came out so I switch to something simple and easier, the classic panda onigiri.
Bento # 175 – Panda Bento
I stuffed the panda with chopped BBQ roasted pork (yesterday left over) and add few romaine lettuce and Chinese Xiang Chang sausage in the box and as a dessert/ afternoon snack I pack piece of steam black glutinous rice cake with coconut.
Happy Monday all!
Wish you have a great week ahead.
My mum always make sweet dessert as our snacks on the weekend and I grow up liking and associate them as my comfort food. Today I am sharing one of my fave sweet dessert, bubur ketan hitam.
Bubur ketan hitam is the Indonesia name for Black Glutinous Rice Deesert , literally is translated as : Black Glutinous porridge. And this type of sweet dessert can be find easily in many South East Asia countries, it have several different names and cooked in a rather similar way.
- 250 gr black glutinous rice
- 2 liter water
- 100 g sugar (to taste)
- pinch of salt
- pandan leaves , tied into a knot
- Coconut milk : 150 ml coconut milk + some pandan leaves ,cooked with with 1/4 tsp salt until simmer, set aside to cool.
- Rinse the black glutinous rice until the water is clear.
- Boil water with pandan leaves a pinch of salt over high heat and when the water starts steaming, add glutinous rice.
- Lower the heat to medium heat and cook for about 60 – 90 minutes uncovered until the grains started to break and water started to thicken. You may add water from time to time to adjust the thickness of the mixture (different heat can resulted to different result of mixture thickness).
- Remove the pandan leaves and add sugar to taste, simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Serve warm with coconut milk.
Black Glutinous rice dessert
Glutionous rice dessert with coconut milk
This is actually my 2nd attempt in making them,and the recipe above had been modified to get the result as shown at the photos.
The first time I fail because I use the wrong type of black rice and did not add more water , resulted to glutinous sticky rice instead of the smooth porridge like shown at the photo.