Ever been in a situation where you only need few pieces of baby potatoes and end up with many extra because the supermarket always sell them in pack of many pieces? Well it always happened to me.
This butter pan fried potatoes is a good way to finish the excess stock because they are easy to make and delicious in its simple way and I love them as snacks, yes I am snacking on this. I know the amount of the carbo, but I just can’t help it, at least they are much healthier than snacking fried fries (I think) 🙂
So here I am with my weekend snack, butter pan fried baby potatoes.
Butter pan fried potatoes
- 10 baby potatoes (or any amount that you like)
- salted butter
- fresh parsley (chopped)
Peel and boil the potatoes in water until they are cooked and then transferred them in a skillet, melt butter and fry the potato under medium fire until they are golden brown, sprinkle with a pinch of salt (to taste) and garnish with a dash of chopped parsley.
Wish you all a good weekend ahead!
I still small bunch of fresh red spinach, so I decide to make Spinach and Cheese Frittata for breakfast. Initially I browse for recipe and upon knowing the basic ingredients I just twisted them into my liking. Here is the result.
Spinach & Cheese Frittata
And below please find the ala RCC recipe.
- 3 eggs (to match with the volume of my tamagoyaki pan)
- 1 table spoon of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves – chopped finely
- A bunch of red spinach, cut the stem and chopped roughly.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 slice of cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Crushed red pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and stir in the chopped garlic, once garlic start to turn color add the spinach and stir until spinach wilted and spread them evenly across the pan.
- Beat the eggs, add salt and pepper to taste, reduce the heat to low heat and pour egg mixture to the pan, slowly stir for 3 seconds to ensure spinach mix evenly with eggs. Cover the pan with lid and let the egg mixture set.
- Once mixture start to set at the bottom, place the sliced cheddar cheese on top of the eggs and cover with lid, continue to cook over low heat.
- When cheddar cheese started to melt, use a fork to lightly spread them evenly, continue to cook over and once eggs looks cooked add the parmesan cheese on top, continue to cook for a while.
- Remove the pan from heat and transfer the cooked frittata into plate.
A weekend snack, just perfect for summer.
Recipe was adapated from Savory simple http://www.savorysimple.net/watermelon-salsa/
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toss all ingredients together and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes so the flavors have a chance to come together. Add an extra 1/2 jalapeno if you like your salsa on the hot side.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Notes Adapted from Recipe Girl
Getting bored with the standard pancake, I try to experiment with on pancake shape using my new rectangular pan, bought for Tamagoyaki purposes. It just perfect to make a pancake roll.
- 3/4 cup flour + 1 table spoon matcha/green tea powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 table spoon melted butter
- 1/4 tea spoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/8 cup sugar
- Cheese/any fruit jams for filling.
- Whisk all ingredients to make pancake batter.
- Pour a little of batter to the pan and cook until bubbly and a little dry around the edges, and lightly browned on the bottom
- Remove pancake from pan and set aside on cooling rack
- Add any spread/filling to your liking, and roll pancake to make a roll.
Happy New Year …
The 1st day of 2012 and let’s start the day with a good lazy brunch, the Dutch Poffertjes.
This dish is quite popular in Indonesia due to it’s historical ties as the former Dutch colony and you can easily find poffertjes in many cafes under the snacks category. I remember the yummy Poffertjes with syrup that I ate at Volendam fishing village in end of September 1999. It was late noon before dusk, and I ate them sitting facing the sea with the autumn winds blowing strongly resulted to my whole face was covered by the sugar powder of the poffertjes.
And apparently I was the last buyer so the seller generously gave me heaps of Poffertjes with plenty of syrup which turn out to contain a bit of alcohol (and I am not good with alcohol at all), resulted me being a bit tipsy and had headache for the rest of the evening. Nevertheless that was fun and memorable.
I will dig up my traveling photos and see if I can find the picture of the stall or at least the bench where I sat eating my poffertjes.
So for you who interested to have homemade poffertjes, the recipe is posted below.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tea spoon baking powder
- 1 table spoon caster sugar
- 1/4 tea spoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk + 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- In mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
- Add milk and water, whisk to make a mixture follow by beaten eggs, whisked until mixture smooth
- Strain and get rid of excess lump and set aside for 15 minutes
- Brush the pan with a little oil / butter
- Pour mixture into pan and when bubbles appear, flip to the other side
- Cook both side until golden brown
- Serve while still hot, sprinkle with icing sugar or any syrup or whipped cream.
I don’t have the poffertjes pan, but it didn’t discourage me and I creatively use my takoyaki pan (which I have not yet use to make any takoyaki so far due to the lack of the main ingredients : Tako aka Octopus).
In order to keep the poffertjes size not too big, pour the batter only to cover half part of each hole (referring to the photo), the result turn out to be good enough 🙂
This breaded crumb sandwich is perfect for fast finger snacks or for some make over in the case if you have any left over sandwiches.
- 4 slices of white bread (trim the side)
- 2 slices smoked beef/ham
- 2 slices of cheese
- 2 eggs (make 2 thin omelet)
- Cheese spread/sandwich spread.mayonnaise
- Bread crumbs
- 1 egg white (beaten)
- Oil for frying
- Take a slice of bread add a slice of ham, cheese, egg and spread cheese spreads.
- Cover with another slice of bread, cut to make 4 triangle shape
- Deep sandwich in beaten egg white and roll in breadcrumb
- Deep fry until golden brown.
Notes : If you look closely at the photo, you will see that I actually forgot to add the cheese , juts realized it after I cut the sandwich for photo taking.