This is a scheduled post, currently I am away for vacation therefore sorry for any late response on comment.
Since I start doing bento, Lotus root had become a staple in my kitchen however the challenge with this unique ingredient is you can’t buy them in small qty.
A piece of Lotus root is big enough for several times bento side dish where in most of the case the rest of them are turn into my favorite snack Lotus root chips until a friend of mine told me about this Lotus root salad. She doesn’t give me the exact measurement of the recipe, it was based on your own sense and taste , I tried to make it and I love it.
This is my result (I am running out of ham, so I only use 1 slice, ideally I will add more ham into the salad)
- 1/4 – 1/2 lotus root depending on the size, slice thinly and immediately soaked them into salted/ vinegar water.
- 1/2 medium size cucumber, cut into 2 sides, de-seed and sliced thinly and soaked them into cold salted water
- 1-2 slices of ham, cut into small long pieces
- 1 to 2 table spoon vinegar
- Pinch of Sugar to taste
- Pinch of Salt to taste
- Mayonnaise to taste
- Boiled a pot a water mix with vinegar inside and cook the lotus root for few minutes, drain and cool under running /ice water, drain and set aside.
- Wipe the sliced cucumbers and lotus roots with paper towel and toss them into salad bowl, add the sugar and salt and mayonaise, then the ham.
- Mix well and let them chill in the fridge.
- Keep the salad in clean container for bento stash or stock – max 3 days