Radish cake is a Chinese dish made of shredded white radish and plain rice flour, they are also some other variation with additional ingredients such as shredded Ebi, shredded mushroom, shredded Chinese pork sausage to enhance the taste.
Radish cake is also one of popular dim sum dish. In Cantonese it is called as Law Bock Gow and in Hokkian/ Teo Chew it is called as Chai Tow Kway. This radish cake is usually cut into a square shaped slices and pan fried before serving. It can also serve in a stir fried version mix with eggs, bean sprout and spring onion and seasoning sauce. This stir fried version is very popular in Singapore or Malaysia.
- 500 gr grated radish
- 1/8 cup of dry ebi (soak for min 1 hours and chopped into smaller pieces)
- 1 tea spoon Chinese cooking wine (Shao Hsing rice wine)
- 1/2 tea spoon sugar
- 1 tea spoon salt3 cups rice flour + 1 cup of the radish stock + 2 cup water/mushroom stock
- 1 table spoon oil
- Peel and grate turnip, add with 1 cup water to the grated turnip and bring to boil, let radish simmer for about 5 minutes
- Drain, reserve the radish stock to add to the flour
- Stir fry ebi until fragrance and add the grated radish, sugar, salt, cooking wine, stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and the remaining of radish stock and keep stirring until combined, the mixture should look like rice pudding. Feel free to add water/stock /flour to get the consistency of the mixture
- Let mixture bubble for a while, remove from heat and pour into a non stick or any baking pan.
- Steam radish cake over medium low heat for about 60 minutes
- Set aside for cooling, best to refrigerate overnight or min 4 hours
- Cut the radish cake into slices, radish cake need to be steam or pan fried before serving.