Remember the side dish fried prawn in Happy Birthday Bento? Well this is the recipe, sorry for the late posting.
I got this recipe from my mum, it’s basically crumbed deep fried prawn using the Japanese panko.
Few useful tricks from her :
- to make the shrimp not curling up during frying, make a small cut on the prawn bottom and use your hand to press them
- soak the prawn in ice water and baking soda will add the crunchiness to prawn texture
- Few big prawn (Black Tiger prawn)
- 1/4 tea spoon baking soda
- 1 table spoon corn starch
- 1 egg white (beaten)
- 1 egg (add with 1 table spoon water and beat the egg)
- 1/4 cup flour
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- Remove the prawn head , shell and vein, but leave the tail part
- Soak clean prawn in ice water add with baking soda for about 30 minutes
- Rinse prawn with running water , drain the water and beaten egg white and corn starch and lightly massage the prawn for about 1 – 2 minutes
- Again, rinse the prawn and dry with paper towel
- Make diagonal cut on prawn bottom and press the prawn on the back to ensure prawn won’t curl up during frying process
- Roll prawn on flour until evenly coated , shake the excess flour and then dip in beaten egg
- Roll the prawn on panko until evenly coated.
- Then dip the panko coated prawn into egg mixture again and then roll on panko again, shake to remove the excess panko.
- Deep fry the prawn until golden yellow and crispy, remove and drain on paper towel