Happy New Year …
The 1st day of 2012 and let’s start the day with a good lazy brunch, the Dutch Poffertjes.
This dish is quite popular in Indonesia due to it’s historical ties as the former Dutch colony and you can easily find poffertjes in many cafes under the snacks category. I remember the yummy Poffertjes with syrup that I ate at Volendam fishing village in end of September 1999. It was late noon before dusk, and I ate them sitting facing the sea with the autumn winds blowing strongly resulted to my whole face was covered by the sugar powder of the poffertjes.
And apparently I was the last buyer so the seller generously gave me heaps of Poffertjes with plenty of syrup which turn out to contain a bit of alcohol (and I am not good with alcohol at all), resulted me being a bit tipsy and had headache for the rest of the evening. Nevertheless that was fun and memorable.
I will dig up my traveling photos and see if I can find the picture of the stall or at least the bench where I sat eating my poffertjes.
So for you who interested to have homemade poffertjes, the recipe is posted below.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tea spoon baking powder
- 1 table spoon caster sugar
- 1/4 tea spoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk + 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- In mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
- Add milk and water, whisk to make a mixture follow by beaten eggs, whisked until mixture smooth
- Strain and get rid of excess lump and set aside for 15 minutes
- Brush the pan with a little oil / butter
- Pour mixture into pan and when bubbles appear, flip to the other side
- Cook both side until golden brown
- Serve while still hot, sprinkle with icing sugar or any syrup or whipped cream.
I don’t have the poffertjes pan, but it didn’t discourage me and I creatively use my takoyaki pan (which I have not yet use to make any takoyaki so far due to the lack of the main ingredients : Tako aka Octopus).
In order to keep the poffertjes size not too big, pour the batter only to cover half part of each hole (referring to the photo), the result turn out to be good enough 🙂