I remember the first time when I experiment on this dish after tasting them at Thai restaurant in my city, it was many many years ago when I was still at college. And then after that I took the short cut to just eat them at Thai restaurant instead of making effort to cook one.
The idea to post this recipe was due to I accidentally have excess ingredients of pandan leaves (fresh pandan leaves can be easily found in my country and my mum used to have a pot of pandan plant at her garden, so anytime she need to use them, she just cut few leaves)
I bought some pandan leaves for making desserts and only use half of them. Upon thinking of what should I do withe the pandan leaves, I go through my old recipe books and found this long forgotten recipe.
Nevertheless… here I am…
- 2 big pieces of chicken meat, mixture of thigh and breast.
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 table spoon of crushed coriander seed
- 2 table spoon of fish sauce
- 1 table spoon sweet soy sauce (or 1 table spoon of palm sugar)
- 1 table spoon of sesame oil
- Pandan leaves for wrapping
- 1 tea spoon roasted white sesame seed
- 4 table spoon water
- 2 table spoon soya sauce
- 2 table spoon palm sugar
Steps (chicken) :
- Cut chicken in dice and place chicken in large mixing bowl, add garlic, fish sauce, crushed coriander, sesame oil, pepper, palm sugar.
- Mix well and let the chicken marinated in the sauce for at least 3 hours
- Take 1 pandan leave, make sure the non shiny side up, fold the pandan leave buttom end up and over , fold the top end down and through and pull to make tight .
- Flip over pick up the top end, bring through top layer and pull tight, panda wrapper ready for filling.
- Flip over and look for an opening and stuff 1 – 2 pieces of marinated chicken (depending on the size of your chicken and width of your pandan leaves) into pandan pocket.
- Repeat step 5 until all chicken are wrapped.
- Heat vegetable oil on large frying pan and deep fried the wrapped chicken until golden brown.
- Serve with the sauce and steam rice and unwrapped the pandan leaves only upon eating.
Steps : Sauce
Mix all ingredients and top with sesame seed