When I was young, I don’t eat Western salad.
Being raised in a strong Chinese culture where daily meals were mostly Chinese food, Western salad was kind of an alien to our family ( those with Mayo/Thousand island/Blue Cheese dressing). In Chinese food there are few type of salad called or served as cold platter.
Upon growing up and widen my eating and cultural experience , I realized that many of those food that I ate was actually considered as salad,especially when I try to translate the name into English.
Nevertheless the salad I am posting today is a modification of the western and japanese salad.
It has creamy texture, sweet , fresh and taste the best if you served it cold.
- 1 Canned fruit (I always love to use longans, if you like you can substitute with Del Monte fruit cocktail or any other canned fruits such as lychees, peaches, grapes, pineapples), just remember to cut them into moderate sizes that is not too chunky.
- 150 ml mayonnaise
- 1 Cucumber -> take out the seeds & cut into small cubes
- 1 Carrot -> boiled till soft & cut into small cubes
- 1 fresh Apple -> cut into small cubes
- 1 Potato -> boiled till soft & cut into small cubes
- 2-3 leaves of lettuces -> cut into smaller size ( around 2 cm width)
1) Drain the canned fruit and cut fruits into smaller size (don’t throw the juices away, set aside)
2) Mix Mayonnaise with the 3 table spoon juices from the canned fruit (you may add a little sugar if you like)
3) Mix all ingredients into salad bowl and mix well.
4) Put into refrigerator and serve when it is cold.
If you are making in bigger portion and plan to keep for more than 1 times meal, then separate the lettuce and only mix upon serving to avoid the lettuce become soggy.