My favorite emergency food after instant noodle will be pasta and I always stock dried pasta at home, be it spaghetti, macaroni, penne or others.
To me the simplest and quickest of all pasta recipes will be the aglio olio , the steps to make it is as easy as cooking instant noodle.
– 350 gr pasta of your choices
– 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
– 1 red chili , take out the seeds and finely chopped ( you may substitute it with dried chilli or dried red pepper)
– ground black pepper
– medium size prawn
– fresh/dried parsley (optional)
1) Cook the pasta al dente (aka till they are soft), remember to add 2-3 pinch of salt in the boiling water.
2) Once pasta is cooked, drain and toss them with olive oil, set aside.
3) Heat olive oil in saucepan over low heat and fry the prawn head and shells to get tasty prawn oil. Remove and pour the oil to separate pan.
4) Cook prawn with the prawn oil, add in garlic and stir for 1 min until booth side of prawn slight change colors.
5) Pour pasta into saucepan mix thoroughly over low heat , add in seasoning such as pepper or small pinch of salt up to your liking. Place the prawn on top of the pasta to avoid the getting overcooked.
6) Garnish with dried/fresh parsley.
The above recipe was the basic Aglio olio, you can always add in sliced bacon, sliced smoked beef, or fresh prawn into the recipe.
All those additional ingredients can be added in step 3, saute them with garlic.
If you add prawn, please ensure the timing, juts stir for less than 1 minute to ensure you don’t overcooked the prawn.
Tips : In the case if you don’t have large saucepan to cook spaghetti or any long pasta, you can always ops to microwave them. I bought this microwavable pasta cooking container and it proven to be really useful.